22% of the remaining field are from the Big East
Western Kentucky’s Ty Rogers had his “from this moment” moment, by draining a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to beat the surprise team of the season in Drake in a bad ass overtime game that eventually set the tone of the day. Villanova was able to catch up to the first half beating they took from Clemson, and finally take advantage of their muscle down low and squeek out a win to give the Big East conference
8 teams, 7 teams into the second round. (Sorry UCONN…)
A few thoughts from the first round….
• Duke’s Gerald Henderson cutting the gut of the Belmont defense for a game-winning layup with 11.9 seconds left to lift No. 2 Duke to a 71-70 victory over No. 15 Belmont on Thursday night in D.C. (Maybe I wanted Duke to lose more than an NIT victory for Syracuse, sue me!)
• De’Jon Jackson’s jumper with 1.2 seconds left to lead San Diego over Connecticut. A guy almost fell of the treadmill next to me watching that.
Maybe Syracuse could have done better……
Last few at-large teams all lost!
• No. 11 Baylor lost by 11 to No. 6 Purdue.
• No. 10 Saint Mary’s lost by 14 to No. 7 Miami.
• No. 10 South Alabama lost by 20 to No. 7 Butler.
• No. 10 Arizona, No. 11 Kentucky, No. 11 Saint Joseph’s, No. 9 Oregon all lost